Medibank Health Solutions is a collection of related organisations that, amongst other things, provides medical (including travel medicine), allied health and telephonic health care services. Full details of the products and services offered can be found on www.medibankhealth.com.au.
Medibank Health Solutions is required to comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act), which regulates the manner in which personal information is handled throughout its life cycle, from collection to use and disclosure, storage, accessibility and disposal.
Personal information is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion. It includes your name, age, gender, contact details as well as your health information (which is also sensitive information).
Special provisions apply to the collection of personal information that is also sensitive information. As well as health information, sensitive information includes information about a person's race, ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of political, professional or trade associations, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual preferences and criminal history.
Collection of personal information by Medibank Health Solutions
Medibank Health Solutions will only collect personal information about you by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive manner. The types of personal information we may collect include:
- identifying and contact information such as name, age, employment details and contact details such as home address, home and mobile phone number and email address;
- health information including current and past medical history;
- financial information, such as bank account details; and
- information about your lifestyle and lifestyle interests (for example, sporting interests).
We collect personal information to provide you with the products and services you request as well as information on other products and services offered by or through us. We may also be required by law to collect some personal information.
Where possible, we will collect personal information directly from you or a person authorised to provide this information on your behalf. Where we collect your personal information from a third party (for example, a government agency, employer, educational institution and service provider or adviser who has dealt with you) we will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of this.
Use and disclosure of personal information by Medibank Health Solutions
Medibank Health Solutions will only use or disclose your personal information as permitted under the Privacy Act.
We will use your personal information to:
- provide you with the products and services you request; manage our relationship with you;
- provide you with information about other products and services that we think may be of interest to you (this may include our own products and services or the products or services of others);
- develop products and services; and
- perform any of our other functions and activities.
Our range of products and services and our functions and activities may vary from time to time.
The companies of Medibank Health Solutions in Australia that have collected personal information are permitted by the Privacy Act to disclose personal information (excluding sensitive information) to other related companies in the Medibank group. Medibank Health Solutions companies may disclose sensitive information about you to other Medibank companies with your consent. This enables Medibank Health Solutions to have an integrated view of its clients.
In order to properly conduct our activities, we may disclose, with your consent where necessary, personal information to other persons or organisations (and they may contact you directly). Such persons and organisations include:
- health service providers;
- our service providers;
- your employer; persons authorised by you, including your agents and advisers and educational institutions;
- payment systems operators and financial institutions; and
- other parties to whom we are authorised or required by law to disclose information.
Data quality and security
To the extent required by the Privacy Act, Medibank Health Solutions will take reasonable steps to:
- make sure that the personal information that we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up to date;
- protect the personal information that we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure; and
- where permitted by law, destroy or permanently de-identify personal information that is no longer needed for any purpose that is permitted by the Privacy Act.
Medibank Health Solutions will generally provide individuals with the option of not identifying themselves when entering transactions when it is lawful and practicable to do so. However, on many occasions we will not be able to do this. For example, we will need your name and address in order to provide you a medical service.
Use of Commonwealth Government identifiers
Medibank Health Solutions will not use Commonwealth government identifiers, such as Medicare numbers, as its own identifier of individuals. We will only use or disclose such identifiers in the circumstances permitted by the Privacy Act.
Transfer of personal information overseas
If Medibank Health Solutions transfers your personal information outside Australia, we will comply with the requirements of the Privacy Act that relate to transborder data flows.
Access to and correction of your personal information
Please contact Medibank Health Solutions if you would like to access or correct the personal information that we hold about you. Medibank Health Solutions will generally provide you with access to your personal information if practicable (although a fee may be imposed), and will take reasonable steps to amend any personal information about you which is inaccurate or out of date. In some circumstances, Medibank Health Solutions, may not permit access to your personal information, or may refuse to correct your personal information, in which case we will provide you reasons for this decision.
Further information and requests for access or correction
- have any queries about the personal information that Medibank Health Solutions holds about you or the way we handle that personal information; or
- would like to request access to or correction of the personal information we hold about you,
please write to:
Medibank Health Solutions
Box 712, Osbourne Park DC,
If you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by Medibank Health Solutions, please contact the Medibank Health Solutions Privacy Officer, whose contact details appear above.
Medibank Health Solutions
- Medibank Private Limited (ABN 47 080 890 259).
- Medibank Health Solutions Pty Limited (ABN 99 078 934 791) (formerly Health Services Australia Pty Ltd) trading as Carepoint Industrial Health and Carepoint Physiotherapy.
- Work Solutions Australia Pty Limited (ABN 71 059 950 695).
- Travel Doctor TMVC Pty Ltd (ABN 93 003 457 289).
- Medibank Health Solutions Telehealth Pty Ltd (ABN 40 069 396 792).
- Medibank Health Solutions New Zealand Ltd.