International Travel is one of the best educational experiences any of us can have. This fact is now well recognised as more and more schools integrate some international travel into their curricula, and students may be travelling to a very wide range of exotic locations.
The Travel Doctor-TMVC has many years of assisting school groups prepare for international trips, for both education and holiday, and we specialise in assisting schools get the whole group fully and comprehensively prepared for their international experience.
Our professional approach to risk-managing school group travel has allowed many schools to achieve exciting and optimal outcomes.
Special considerations for school trip travel:
- Schools want safe, cost-effective travel, with good learning outcomes. Teachers want good group bonding and optimal educational opportunity. Students usually want excitement, success and an enjoyable trip, while parents may have health and safety concerns too.
- Students may be quite young, inexperienced and anxious. Other health concerns like menstruation, drug-use, risk-taking behaviours can be prevalent in this group.
- Parents may be more anxious, as well as concerned about health and costs.
- Ensuring optimal outcomes may mean tailoring advice, vaccinations and medications to suit the individual student and the nature of the trip.
- Travel insurance is important, and best arranged by the group.
The Travel Doctor-TMVC understands all this and we try to maximise the outcomes for everyone involved. We would like to ensure that this really valuable educational opportunity is not marred by avoidable illness.
Before you go
- There is enormous value in having all members of the touring party prepared in the same way. This ensures that messages are similar, advice is consistent, and avoids the problem of anxious students and parents due to conflicting information
- Avoid unnecessary vaccines, medications, side-effects and costs by getting expert advice.
- Presentations and talks to groups can be very beneficial, and assist with team-building as well as compliance. Highlighting particular risks of various activities to a group with teachers and parents present is often
- Re-assuring to the group.
- Specific management of individuals with particular concerns or issues should be done, or assessment of any individuals’ suitability to travel.
- Seek medical advice early for injury or illness.
- The Travel Doctor-TMVC provides consultant advice via email or phone.
- Travel with an appropriate medical kit, designed to meet the need of your group
- All members should practice safe sex when appropriate.
The Travel Doctor-TMVC can manage any medical issues arising from travel. Travel Doctor-TMVC clinics throughout Australia have had much experience in preparing sporting groups, and advise an initial discussion well before the planned departure date. Special arrangements for groups are available, and medical kits can be tailored to groups or individuals.
Contact the National Client Manager or your closest Travel Doctor-TMVC clinic for further assistance.
^ Top of the page